By Ellen Lai
The Center for Community and Ethnic Media at the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY is pleased to announce the 2020 Census Reporting Fellows.
The purpose of this fellowship is to help participants understand the importance of the decennial census both for their particular communities and the larger polity, and to give them the research and data tools they need to access a wealth of data and report on census-related stories in their communities. This way, the participants will enhance their ability to build civic connections within their communities. Community and ethnic media reporters, editors and publishers from New York’s metro region were eligible to apply.
The 2020 Census Reporting Fellows are:
- Sanzida Alam is a community reporter and writer at Prothom Alo, the North America edition.
- Nadia Batool Bokhari is a freelance journalist and a former TV anchor from Pakistan. She has over a decade of international reporting experience, often focusing on issues of social justice, human rights and health.
- Isseu Diouf Campbell is a multimedia journalist and publisher of africainharlem.nyc, a multilingual community news site documenting and celebrating the African immigrant and larger African Diaspora’s culture, experience, and contributions in Harlem and beyond.
- Hong Kong native Lotus Chau joined Sing Tao Daily in 1997 and became the chief reporter in 2002. She covers politics, overseas and local policies, education, police and cultural activities of the Asian community in New York.
- David Cruz has been serving as editor in chief of the Bronx-based Norwood News since December 2013. Other credits include WCBS 880 and News 12 The Bronx.
- Angie Damlakhi has been the editor of the Arabic-language newspaper Allewaa Alarabi since 1990.
- María del Carmen Amado is the publisher of Westchester Hispano newspaper in Westchester County, New York. She founded the Spanish print and digital media outlet 13 years ago to serve the Hispanic community.
- Martin Feng was born in Chengde City, China, and works as a reporter at Vision Times/Kanzhongguo.
- Irina Groushevaia is a journalist from Russia covering news, food, and LGBTQ+, and the editor in chief of Bushwick Daily.
- Manzoor Hussain is a journalist with over 25 years’ experience in reporting and editing.
- Chunxiang Jin is a reporter for Chinese newspaper World Journal in New York, who has four years of extensive experience covering immigration and 2020 Census issues.
- Stephon Johnson is a staff writer for the New York Amsterdam News covering politics and labor issues.
- Marina Lagunova reports and writes for the Russian-language weekly newspaper Russkaya Reklama on politics/elections, immigration, health, advocacy and benefits.
- Ansar A. Lovlu is the executive editor of Bangladesh Pratidin’s North America edition, the editor of the NRB News news service and the NY correspondent for bdnews24.com.
- Sherry Mazzocchi is a New York based freelance journalist.
- Md Kausar Mumin is the executive director of Community Television of New York (CTVNY).
- Mamadou Niang is a journalist/international television producer, formed NextMedia, a television production and content development company in 2009 after serving for 20 years as managing editor at France 2-French Television Channel 2’s New York bureau.
- Jose F. Reyes has worked for Diario de México USA Edition since 2014.
- Anatoliy Ryvkin, a refugee from Ukraine born in Kiev, is a producer and reporter for BRIC Arts, Russian NY News, and Manhattan Business Club.
- Francie Scanlon, born and raised in Manhattan, writes from the perspective of history at her shoulder, the past always searching for the future in the context of the present.
- Ang Chhiring Sherpa is the editor in chief of Nepali newspaper Everest Times, which was founded in 2008, and is the first South Asian journalist to climb Mt. Everest.
- Abu Taher is the editor in chief of the Weekly Bangla Patrika and CEO of Time Television.
- Ke (April) Xu covers the Chinese American community in New York for Sing Tao Daily. She has attended a fellowship from New America Media, the Gerontological Society of America and the Commonwealth Fund and was an Open City fellow and a USC National fellow.