Home / Uncategorized / Business Reporting Fellowship

Apply Today!

The Center for Community and Ethnic Media is pleased to offer, once again, a fall fellowship in business reporting, with 4 training sessions on 4 consecutive Saturdays (October 15, 22, 29 and November 5).

CCEM will select 15 reporters from the community and ethnic media in the NYC area as “fellows” who, over the course of the 4 full-day sessions, will receive an overview of the topics and tools they need to report effectively on business and finance. The sessions will run from 9:30 am to 4:00 pm, including a lunch break. CCEM will provide lunch to the fellows.

This is a great opportunity to learn about the New York City economy, housing, personal finance and small business. Topics of particular interest to community and ethnic reporters, such as reporting on financial scams and on immigrant entrepreneurs, will be included. Fellows will also learn how to use data for reporting and get valuable tips for doing online research. If you’ve ever been intimidated by business reporting, or if you’ve tried it and would like to explore it further, this program is for you!

CUNY Journalism school faculty and guest instructors will lead the sessions.

The fellowship offers participants a stipend of $750, for which they must attend all sessions and produce three articles or two audio reports or two video reports for publication in Voices of NY. Your own media outlet may wish to publish these articles or reports as well.

Last year’s participants praised the fellowship. Among the comments:

• “Overall, I thought the program was excellent and I’m very grateful to have been a part of it.”
  • “I really want to thank you for having participated in this fellowship program. It’s enriched my professional life…Thank you.” 
  • “I am extremely grateful to the CCEM for the opportunity to attend the fellowship classes. They boosted my understanding of the New York economy, finance and certain journalism skills.
  • “Thank you so much for a wonderful sessions. Looking forward to submit my stories.”

Apply here to participate in this valuable program.
The application deadline is September 23

For more information, please write to karen.pennar@journalism.cuny.edu